Please sign our One-Sentence Petition (at GoPetition.com):
Thank you for signing.
If there were a second sentence
for our petition, it might be something like this:
... if West Papua cannot be granted de facto independence and acknowledged as an existing country, we ask that the region at least be re-instated on the list of Non-Self-Governing Territories,
- the right of self-determination is articulated in article 3 of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples; (1)
- in May 2013, the UN General Assembly voted to place French Polynesia back on their list of territories to be decolonized; (2)
- West Papua was also on the decolonization list from 1994 to 1962, and was taken off in a way that violated indigenous and fundamental human rights; and
- West Papua clearly meets the UN list criteria set down in resolution 1541 (XV),
opened to journalists from any nation, and the people of West Papua finally be given
their first real opportunity to vote in a referendum properly supervised by the UN under the auspices of UN-sponsored armed forces.
(1) Study on decolonization of the Pacific region - see paragraphs 46 to 51 explaining the urgency and historical grounds for granting West Papua the right to regain their statehood: UN Economic and Social Council report May 2013
(2) UN News on French Polynesia's reinstatement as a precedent
There are lots of other petitions you can sign to help West Papua, e.g.:
plus one from Avaaz